Fri 5AM-10:30PM Sat 4:30AM-10PM Sun 4:30AM-8PM
Customer Fishing Reports > Theft by Finding
Theft by Finding
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

David Sedaris
Aug 06, 2020
2:07 AM
In Theft by Finding, David Sedaris, best known for his eight bestselling books as well as his contributions to “This American Life,” The New Yorker and Esquire, offers a glimpse into the most unruly of writing: his diaries from the years 1977-2002. Sedaris notes in the introduction that he does not expect readers to plow through this 528-page tome in linear fashion, but instead to dip in at random. I suspect he would approve of my own manner of reading the book, which was to see what Sedaris was up to on my birthday each year.

However, his (edited) diaries are too interesting to limit oneself only to birthday entries—I wound up reading the whole thing, laughing frequently and earmarking many memorable passages. These diaries reveal the development of Sedaris’ aesthetic, filled with rich and unfailingly sharp observations—portraits of people he saw on the street, overheard snippets of dialogue, accounts of interactions with everyone from cabdrivers to his irrepressible siblings.

For Sedaris fans, the diaries offer a backstage tour of books like Me Talk Pretty One Day (his initial observations of his French teacher, essays he wrote in response to homework prompts) and Holidays on Ice (accounts of locker-room exchanges between men working as Macy’s holiday elves). There are moments of sadness, such as the unexpected death of his mother and the slow decline of his sister Tiffany, who would later commit suicide. But this is not a sad book; instead, it’s a gloriously weird one. Sedaris lists Christmas presents received every year, shares recipes and constantly suggests to the reader to keep going, just for one more page.

“If nothing else, a diary teaches you what you’re interested in,” Sedaris writes. This is a diary that shows us how Sedaris’ powers of observation and his intense investment in his own perspective have enriched his life and, by extension, ours.

This article was originally published in the June 2017 issue of happy wheels. Download the entire issue for the Kindle or Nook.
Elysha
Aug 06, 2020
9:08 AM
I can’t believe focusing long enough to research; much less write this kind of article. You’ve outdone yourself with this material without a doubt. It is one of the greatest contents. bettas for sale
2048game
Aug 17, 2020
8:57 AM
Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more.2048game
uko
Sep 14, 2020
3:50 AM
some truly interesting details you have written. Flow Meter Solar
Perpajakan
Oct 01, 2020
12:18 AM
Thank you so much as you have been willing to share information with us. We will forever admire all you have done here because you have made my work as easy as ABC.
Perpajakan
mtom
Oct 13, 2020
4:58 AM
Pourquoi ne pas relater les significations déclarées la semaine dernieres selon la chambre national? Au minimum on aurait la possibilité de chicaner selon les vrais taux; ?????

--------------------

There is noticeably a lot of money comprehend this. I suppose you made particular nice points in functions also. ???????

Post a Message

(8192 Characters Left)

Click here for Newburyport Weather

32 Old Elm Street

Salisbury, MA 01952

978-499-8999

Contact Us

Subscribe to the Newsletter
I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy

Marine Weather

Maine Harbors for the best in New England weather

Maine Harbors