Fri 5AM-10:30PM Sat 4:30AM-10PM Sun 4:30AM-8PM
Customer Fishing Reports > Do Not Become Alarmed
Do Not Become Alarmed
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

Maile Meloy
Aug 06, 2020
3:53 AM
Maile Meloy specializes in writing short fiction about privileged but emotionally fragile characters who are self-aware to an almost destructive degree, and who can be startled by their own dark thoughts. Meloy delves deeply and expertly into these personalities, plumbing the repercussions of various events in their worlds. In her new novel, she takes that approach and revs it up to top speed.

Do Not Become Alarmed starts as two cousins and their families are setting out on a cruise to South America. At first everything is pleasantly relaxing, but things quickly begin to go wrong. Persuaded to take a day off the ship, the two families are divided: The men go golfing, while the women take their kids on a zip-line tour. Almost immediately, complications arise for the zip-lining crew. Their vehicle breaks down, and when they go for a swim at a nearby beach, the kids disappear. It’s any parent’s worst nightmare: You’ve lost your kids, and it’s your fault.

The book moves at a rapid-fire pace through the events that follow, as the kids get into deeper and deeper trouble and their parents become ever more distraught. The story is told from as many viewpoints as there are characters, and everyone gets at least one chapter. Meloy skillfully analyzes each person’s reaction to his or her situation in remarkably efficient prose that never scrimps on detail or emotional impact. It’s a grim story told with a light touch, and it’s completely addictive.

This article was originally published in the June 2017 issue of BookPage. Download the entire issue for the Kindle or Nook.

Do Not Become Alarmed
By Maile Meloy

Riverhead: super mario bros 2.0
$27.00
ISBN 9780735216525
Published 06/06/2017

Fiction / Literary Fiction / Family Saga
Blode Clown
Aug 13, 2020
5:01 AM
Indisputable direct about as muddling courses are open through electronic illuminating principle stimulus. Read bestdissertation review before help in research paper online. Level of online tasks can be made through some give testimony regarding and all around watched foundations with no fear of spam.
Mk
Aug 17, 2020
8:26 AM
This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this..planning center login
moiz
Dec 29, 2020
11:15 PM
I love visiting sites in my free time. I have visited many sites but did not find any site more efficient than yours. Thanks for the nudge! free vr xxx

Post a Message

(8192 Characters Left)

Click here for Newburyport Weather

32 Old Elm Street

Salisbury, MA 01952

978-499-8999

Contact Us

Subscribe to the Newsletter
I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy

Marine Weather

Maine Harbors for the best in New England weather

Maine Harbors